Port Nolloth, West Coast South Africa

After an  exhausting, cold and very wet night we were more than happy to leave towards Springbok and then further north. We made it up to Port Nolloth, a little seaside town on the West Coast.

Founded in 1855,  the port of Port Nolloth was used to export the Copper found in Springbok until a decade after the end of World War 2 the first diamonds were found. The big mining companies, like De Beers nowadays were quick to buy all mining rights but even in the few months before all these rights were sorted private diamond diggers found diamonds of up to 12 549 Carat.

The unique thing about diamond mining in Port Nolloth is, that the diamonds are found in the water. De Beers has bought all the rights close to the shores and pumps he sand into big boats where the sand then is filtered and the diamonds taken out.

Private Diamond divers try their luck further back from the shoreline. Considering the water temperature and the size of  the waves no job for sissies.  One of these divers is George, who runs the local museum. He looks  exactly how you would imagine a diamond diver who did his job for 36 years. Carl asked me if George is a Pirate, and that is what would describe him best. He gave us a tour around the museum, told us all the towns „secret“ stories  and that still most of     the people  in this little town are involved in diamonds in some way, and often not one, that would be on the right side oft he law.

We ment to only stay overnight. At first sight the Campsite looked everything but inviting. The lady at the reception  asked us if we stay in a rooftent or on the ground, and she hoped we had a rooftent. The sea had been quite rough lately. When we found a spot right on the beach and opened the door we could see what she ment. The sand on the ground looked like the waves had just recently been washing over it. Still Timm wanted to stay right on the beach, so we just packed everything back in the car before we went to bed. Next morning everything was fine though, the waves had stayed at least 4 m from the camp. We  were surprised by a warm and sunny day and took all our gear out, unpacked the trailer, put mattress and bedding in the sun to dry. Everything had been soaking wet from the last 2 days.

As the first day was mainly packing and unpacking we decided to stay another night. And then another, and another. Now after 4 nights we fear we might get stuck and stick with George and his buddies, so we have to kick our bum and keep going. But it is just too nice  staying right at the beach, seeing and hearing nothing but the ocean and the waves, watching ebb and flow, counting flamingos and admiring sunrise and sunset. Slowly we are really unwinding. The first couple of days were all about spending as much time as possible with our dear friends. Then we felt somehow left sad and were quite tired from the weather and all the emotions. The last few days we got up when the sun was up, went to bed when it got dark, ate when we were hungry. We did not check the time once.

Well, tomorrow morning we TRY to really get tot he Richtersveld National Park at the border to Namibia and then leave our so loved South Africa.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s